Historic ruins can be adapted for new uses. Spanish Town High School sits on the Parade Ground of the Old Barracks built in 1791. Intact and roofed until the 1970s, now only the surrounding walls still stand. The School lacks sufficient space to accommodate all its pupils at the same time. The Board of Governors is determined to restore and reroof the Barracks for school use. A volunteer team from the UK and US visited in February to carry out a laser scan survey of the building and discuss ways of achieving this with Jamaican colleagues.